Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

bon appetit!



















I love to cook: baking, not so much. Anything by Ina Garten is delicious to me. Her recipes are inspired by Julia Child but pared down, simply elegant, refined, and so good that my husband, toddlers, and baby alike love every bite. Of all of Ina's books, I love Barefoot in Paris the best: the lemon roasted chicken with homemade croutons is perfection. And for extra flavorful juiciness, I just go ahead and drizzle all of the chicken drippings into my bowl of croutons. I'm not kidding when I say that this is the best recipe in my entire arsenal of cooking tricks. The forty-cloved garlic chicken and Moroccan couscous is also a rich and favorite combination. And Ina's simple boeuf bourguignon is one of my favorite, favorite, favorite recipes---I like to make this one and deliver to my friends when they are in need of special care packages. A paper sack filled with a Weck jar of boeuf bourgignon, a sourdough boule or a French baguette, fresh apples or pears, sugar cookies, and a bottle or two of Pellegrino makes for such a hearty meal with European appeal.

Julia's classic, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, is a beautiful book of culinary integrity and genius, plus, the sauces are beyond; I only wish I had the time to follow the recipes exactly as Julia intended them to be executed. Volume One is especially sentimental because my dad bought it for me the last Christmas before he died. Between Julia's expert directions and my dad's implicit encouragement, I cook with the angels when I open this beautiful book.

South Carolina Junior Leaguers know hospitality and cooking, and the Columbia, SC, Junior League--sponsored cookbook, Down by the Water, has the best meatloaf recipe you will Ever find. Ever. Ever Ever. My mother-in-law almost convinced me of the virtues of her much simpler three-step/one-bowl meatloaf recipe, and as much as I love the expediency of her version (especially with three little ones afoot), I will always prefer the bacon-wrapped, homemade brown-sugar ketchup sauce, and ground beef-pork-veal version enumerated in this SC cookbook. Plus, the key lime pie is awesome too. I love this book when I want a nostalgic reminder of our two-year stint living in the South.

Gwyneth Paltrow's My Father's Daughter is really good too: I love the many ideas for roasted tomatoes; the garbanzo bean soup is dimensional and healthy (especially with the caramelized onions); and rice pudding is a major treat if I wake up in time to let the rice cook until it reaches its most creamy potential. Gwyneth insists that her kids are avid eaters of most of these recipes, but so far, my kids aren't having it...yet.

The best book for kids food is Tyler Florence's Start Fresh. With Tyler's help, baby number three has eaten real foods every day of her life. The food suggestions are so simple that I am embarrassed that I did not have the confidence until this baby-go-round to make my own baby foods with fresh vegetables and fruits and a foodmill. So simple! Plus, the boys are completely obsessed with little baby's new foods, so much so that they are abandoning their horrible processed and preservative-filled foods (aaggh!!!) for homemade apple-and-pear sauce, whipped-up sweet potatoes, fresh avocados, and pureed peas. Start Fresh also has a great section for foods for the whole family. I'm obsessed with the bright green split pea soup: unadulterated by hambones or other ingredients, the peas are allowed to shine in all of their gorgeous green and creamy goodness. And the bacon-baked sweet potatoes complete the whole flavor and color profile.

I also am one to think that good books and good food go hand in hand, er, hand to mouth. Maya Angelou's Hallelujah: The Welcome Table is my go-to for the best smothered chicken and Professor Angelou's potato salad is completely Hallelujah worthy. Hallelujah for good food!

No comments:

Post a Comment